26 12 2014
Tomato Chilli Chutney
- 2kg ripe tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 6 red chillies, de-seeded and chopped
- 300g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 300ml malt vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp cooking salt
|Total Time||2 1/2 Hours|
|Prep Time||30 Minuets|
|Cooking Time||2 Hours|
|Makes||4-5 X 227Gram Jars|
- Boil some water in a large pan and have another pan ready filled with cold water. Cut a little X in the bottom of each tomato, and then blanch the tomatoes in the hot water for around 1 minuet until the skin starts to gently peel. Then put them in the cold water. Do them in batches.
- Once the tomatoes have had their skins peeled, quarter them and then dice the onion.
- Heat the oil in large heavy based pan, add onion, tomato and chilli. Make sure it does not overcook. Gently cook for a few minuets.
- Add the sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 1½ - 2 hours, stirring occasionally. The mixture should be thick and when a spoon is pulled through, it should leave a clear path.
- Pour the warm mixture into warm sterilised jars, ensuring there are no air bubbles in the mixture and seal them immediately.